Saturday, June 27, 2015

Whole Wheat Chia Seed Pancakes


I cannot get over these pancakes. I made them for the kids and me for breakfast a few days ago, and they were amazing! I froze the leftovers and had them for breakfast for the next two days! My whole family enjoys these! 

This is my first time using chia seeds. I bought a small package at Walmart to try them. I've really been craving pancakes lately, so I decided it was time to give them a try! They add a slight crunch to the pancake, similar to the crunch poppy seeds add. It was very nice! This pancake recipe is very similar to the regular fluffy pancake recipe that I have been using for quite some time, just with some healthier changes. Anyway, let's make some pancakes! 

So pancakes are all made pretty much the same way. Mix dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking power, baking soda, and salt) in one bowl. Mix wet ingredients (egg, milk, yogurt, vanilla, and oil) in another bowl. Add the wet to the dry and stir just until moistened. After that you gently add in the chia seeds and/or anything else you might want to stir into these pancakes. Just be careful not to over mix the batter. The batter will be quite thick as you can see from the picture below. 

The recipe calls for plain yogurt, but feel free to use a flavor if you have it. I have used strawberry-honey Greek yogurt, left out the chia seeds, and instead dropped raspberries onto the batter as it was cooking on the griddle. They were fantastic! My husband said they were the best pancakes I'd ever made! So think of this as a basic pancake recipe that you can adjust based on what you like and what you have on hand! 

After I make my pancake batter, I let it sit and rest while my griddle heats up. I love my electric griddle for pancakes and French toast. I usually heat it to about 325 degrees when I am making pancakes. Then you need to grease your griddle or pan. My favorite way to grease it is to take a stick of butter and wipe it across the surface. I learned it from the Pioneer Woman, and it is just brilliant! Seeing my griddle all covered with sizzling butter just makes me so happy...and so excited for breakfast! You could grease it with coconut oil if you wanted to or even cooking spray. I just love the way pancakes brown up in butter. Drop your pancake batter onto the greased griddle, making them whatever size you like. 



Look how fluffy they are!  



**Updated 11/22/15: I have recently started making pancakes for my kids using a 1 Tbsp measuring spoon. It is the perfect size for little hands to hold on to! Picture below!





Just cook them until small bubbles appear and the edges look dry. (This will take a few minutes, this is very thick batter.) Then flip them. 


I sure do love fluffy pancakes! 


I spread them with a little butter as soon as they come off of the griddle. No it's not necessary...it's just how I do pancakes. This recipe makes a small batch of pancakes, perfect for the babies and myself and we had 5 leftover that I froze (and ate the next two days). I got 9 good-sized pancakes out of this batter. 


**Updated 11/22/15: And look how cute they are! I made a mix of small ones for my kids and more medium-sized pancakes for myself and my mother-in-law who was visiting. 


I would love to eat a stack this high! But that is probably not a good idea...


But seriously...look how fluffy!! This recipe has become one of my most used pancake recipes. They are easy to make and always delicious! 


My toddler likes his pancakes sprinkled with a little powdered sugar. All things in moderation is my belief. This pancake recipe only has 1 Tablespoon of added sugar in the entire batch of pancakes. So in my opinion a sprinkle of powdered sugar isn't the end of the world. It just adds a hint of sweetness. Also, my son does not use syrup. I offer maple syrup to him, but he is not interested. 


He very happily ate the entire pancake. 



In case you're wondering why I gave him a pancake without a side of fruit. Well, the reason is that my son loves fruit so much that he would eat the fruit off of his plate and probably refuse to eat the pancake and instead request more fruit. If I give him the pancake first, he will eat it and then I just fill his pancake plate up with fruit and he will eat that too. He loves strawberries and clementines. 


**Updated 11/22/15: My little prince prefers his pancakes whole now and he picks them up and bites out of them...I think he feels like he is having a cookie or something that way. It's amazing how much a child changes in 5 months! He usually eats 3 or 4 of these small pancakes at a time. 


And this is how I ate my pancakes. Covered in maple syrup and sprinkled with powdered sugar. Yum! 


Baby girl got to have a pancake too. She's 9 months old and we were given the green light to try whole eggs by our pediatrician, but definitely check with yours if your baby is under one year old. I spread hers with some homemade cherry puree. Pancakes are a great way for your independent feeder to feed herself/himself pureed foods without making as big of a mess. I usually spread her pancakes with pureed fruit, yogurt, cream cheese, cottage cheese, or any mix of all of these! 


 Sometimes I cut her pancake into halves or thirds, and other times I just give her the whole thing and she tears it up into smaller pieces herself. She eats it just as well no matter how I give them to her!  


**Updated 11/22/15: These days my big girl usually eats her pancakes spread with cream cheese or peanut butter. She is 14 months now, and she loves pancakes! She was pretty insistent on eating off of Judah's plate here. This pancake was served plain...pancakes with toppings are reserved for the high chair. :-) 



So now have I convinced you to try these pancakes? I'm going to choose to believe you said yes, so here's the recipe. Enjoy! 


Chia Seed Pancakes 
Adapted from Pancakes with Blueberries and Chia Seeds

Ingredients
1 and ¼ cup of white whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon of sugar
1 teaspoon of baking powder
½ teaspoon of baking soda
½ teaspoon of salt
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/2 cup milk (I used 1%)*
3/4 cup yogurt (regular or Greek, plain or any flavor)*
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons of coconut oil, melted and cooled or canola oil
1 tablespoon of chia seeds
Butter and Maple syrup, for serving

*You can also use 1 1/4 cup buttermilk in place of the milk and yogurt, but I love the flavor of yogurt in pancakes! 

Instructions
1. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg, milk, yogurt, vanilla, and oil together.
3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just blended.
4. Gently fold in the chia seeds. Let the batter rest while you heat your pan or griddle for 5-10 minutes.
5. Pour onto greased hot griddle or skillet and cook until small bubbles appear and the edges of the pancakes look dry. 
6. Then flip them and cook on the other side until golden brown.

Serve warm with butter and maple syrup.

Looking for more yummy breakfast ideas? 

Visit Kara O'Neil's profile on Pinterest.

Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment