Monday, February 8, 2016

Sauteed Cinnamon Apples

The "recipe" I decided to share today is really more of a method than a recipe. It's so simple to make, and I never measure anything. I've actually been meaning to post this one for a while...I make these apples often and they are so delicious! My 3-year-old lovingly refers to these as "sweet apples." This is a great little snack or dessert for yourself and/or your kids, and it's also a great way to spruce up an apple that is lackluster. I am very particular about my apples...I want them to be sweet, juicy, and crisp. Mushy and bland apples just do not work for me. My kids love fruit, and they eat a lot of it each day, so most mornings the three of us will split a sliced apple. When the apple doesn't taste as great as it could, here's how I doctor it up! 



First put some coconut oil in a small pan and set it over medium heat. I use probably half a Tablespoon. I do not measure though, just spoon some in. You want there to be a thin layer across the bottom of your pan when the coconut oil melts. I have a small cast iron skillet that is the perfect size for sauteing one apple, so that is what I use. If you don't have coconut oil, butter would be delicious. 


Spread the oil out evenly on the bottom of the pan, and put in your apples in a single layer. 


Then I sprinkle a little bit of cinnamon on top of these apples and just let them cook for a bit. 


Once the apples start to brown on the bottom, flip them over and sprinkle the other side with cinnamon. 


Then let the other side of the apples brown for a few minutes. When they are browned to your liking, sprinkle on a little bit of brown sugar. I probably use less than one teaspoon total. You don't need much, I just love the brown color and little bit of caramel-y flavor the brown sugar gives the apples. If you don't like using sugar, I'm sure maple syrup or honey would also be delicious, or you can just leave it out if you prefer. 



 Then I just stir them around to melt the sugar and cook the apples until they are as brown as I like them. 


Try to let them cool before eating them...it will be hard to resist. They smell amazing! Make sure they are cooled off before you put the plate within little hands' reach...an apple thief was caught on camera at my house! 


 Who could resist that little apple-filled face? 


The little princess loves her apples as well! 


Sauteed Cinnamon Apples 

Ingredients
1 apple, sliced 
1/2 Tbsp coconut oil 
Cinnamon, to taste
Brown Sugar, to taste 

Directions
1. Melt coconut oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add apple in a single layer, and sprinkle with cinnamon. 
2. Cook until the apple is browned on the first side, then flip over and sprinkle cinnamon on the second side. 
3. Sprinkle with a little brown sugar and stir to melt. Let the apples cook until they are as brown and soft as you like them. Let cool and serve! 


No comments:

Post a Comment